Students must be at least 15 years of age or will turn 15 before the end of the classroom or 15 years old to start online course. Teen must be enrolled in school to be eligible to enroll in our Driver Education Course.
We will strive to make your teen’s time with us a quality learning experience that they will enjoy. We believe that driving is one of the most important things that a person will ever learn.
The Driver Education 32 hour classroom course can be completed in a minimum of four weeks. (Please allow at least an additional 6-8 weeks to complete the driving lessons in the car.)
The courses consists of 32 Classroom Hours and 14 Hours of In-Car Instruction, which is required by the State of Texas to obtain a license at the age of sixteen.
You are also eligible to receive a 15% discount on your auto insurance upon completion of the course.
CLASSROOM TUITION & HOW TO ENROLL IN A COURSE:
The cost of the full CLASSROOM course with 7hrs btw/7 hrs observation is: $460
PAYABLE TO A-PLUS DRIVING SCHOOL Through PayPal online/or Major Credit Card over the phone or Drop off Check/Cash or Money Order in our Security Drop Box. For the CLASSROOM COURSE: We only require $230.00 down upon registration. The balance will be DUE NO LATER THAN THE FIRST NIGHT OF CLASS to continue the course. .(36 students max in each classroom/Deposit & Registration online will guarantee your enrollment in class).
When you decide TO ENROLL you may Register Online through our webiste under TEEN DRIVERS/CLASSROOM COURSE REGISTRATION)
**If you do not receive an EMAILED confirmation # after registering online, we ask that you to contact us by phone to confirm your teen is enrolled**
**Tuition does not include SCHEDULE2DRIVE, THIS WILL BE AN ADDITIONAL $15 fee PAYABLE TO SCHEDULE2DRIVE.
CLASSROOM SCHEDULE: 32 hrs of classroom instruction (16/2hr lessons) The class calendar will be your regular class time on a daily basis. No more than 5 lessons may be missed, but all lessons will need to be made up within 1 year from the first day of Class. It is the students/parents responsibility to keep up with all missed lessons and contact A-Plus for dates to make -up any lessons missed.
DRIVING APPOINTMENTS IN OUR CAR:
The 14 hours of in-car instruction will be made by appointment outside of class. (7 in car appointments/2 hrs each> 1 hr behind the wheel /1 hr observation) will be scheduled by appointment online with SCHEDULE2DRIVE.COM. **Tuition does not include SCHEDULE2DRIVE, THIS WILL BE AN ADDITIONAL $15 fee PAYABLE TO SCHEDULE2DRIVE. Information will be given to your teen on how to schedule & cancel a driviing lesson. You will be driving fully insured, dual-controlled vehicles.
*When canceling a driving lesson in car we require atleast a 24 Hour notice before appointment or there will be a $30 Charge. Read Behind the Wheel Driving Policies below. This information will be explained in class and posted as a reminder at our school.
Driving lessons in the car will not be scheduled until the permit has been issued by the DPS to your teen.
*PARENTS AND STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SCHEDULING APPOINTMENTS AND PROVIDING TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM OUR SCHOOL FOR THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. A-PLUS NO LONGER PICKS UP AND DROPS OFF STUDENT FOR THEIR DRIVING LESSON.
*As of January 1, 2002, all teen drivers must hold a permit for a minimum of 6 months before getting an actual Texas Drivers License.
*As of November 1, 2009 all teens are required to have a photo on learners permit. This requires the parent to go with the teen to get a learners permit at the DPS office.
* As of September 1, 2013, Parents must log an additional 30 Hours Behind the Wheel with their teen (10 of those hours at night) before taking the driving test. A Log will be given to your teen the first week of class.
As of September 1,2015 a teen will be required to watch a IMPACT ITTD Video online at home no more that 90 days before taking the Drivers License Test in Car to obtain Drivers License. Please see Driving Test information on our website. More information will be given to teen after full Teen Course is completed.
Insurance Certificate will be issued to all students for completing the full drivers ed course.
For Classroom Course Only:Drug & Alcohol Driving Awareness Insurance Certificates may be purchased for $10 if your insurance company requires an original certificate.
HOW DO I GET A LEARNERS PERMIT FOR MY TEEN?
Classroom Course: A check off list and instructions will be given to your teen on the first night of class. The student must attend the 1st 3 nights of class (6 Hours) and pass the written permit test (which is given on the 3rd night of class) before being issued a certificate (DE-964) to obtain a permit. *FINAL PAYMENT FOR DRIVERS ED COURSE MUST BE PAID IN FULL BEFORE WE ISSUE STUDENT CERTIFICATE TO GET PERMIT.
Online Course: De964 Certificate will be mailed to you to show DPS office to get permit
Items you will need to take to the DPS to get learners permit:
- Original Birth Certificate or American Passport *Born in a foreign country you must show visa or green card
- Original Social Security Card
- Verification of Enrollment Form this form indicates that you are currently enrolled in school and have attended at least 90% of all classes the previous semester. It will be necessary for you to obtain this form from your high school attendance office. VOE Expires in 30 days.
- Summer students: request VOE last week of school (NO SOONER). The form will be good all summer.
You may contact your high schools district office if you were unable to get VOE before school let out for the summer
Enrolled in a home schooling program: Ask us for a blank VOE form. Parent must fill out and sign.
- TWO (2) forms of acceptable Texas Residency documents (see DPS website for accepted forms at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/residencyReqNonCDL.htm
- Texas Residency Affidavit http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/residencyReqNonCDL.htm
- Checkbook or Cash pay for the permit. Rates Vary so take plenty of Cash or Credit card
- DE-964 Certificate - This is a green certificate that will be issued.
- Application for an Instruction Permit will be given to all students on the first night of class or you may get application at DPS office.
What do we do after my teen completes this course &
has held permit for atleast 6 months?
After completing the full 32 hours of Classroom Instruction and 14 hours In Car Instruction and all fees are paid, a student will be issued a DE-964 Certificate of Completion. The parent will need to sign the bottom of this certificate after teen has completed the additional 30 hours of the in car instruction with the parent before taking the certificate to DPS office to take driving test. * 30 HOUR BEHIND THE WHEEL INSTRUCTION GUIDE & LOG see below.
*CALL TO MAKE APPOINTMENT WITH A-PLUS DRIVING SCHOOL FOR DRIVER LICENSE TEST .
What will we need to take to the DPS office when getting Drivers License Issued?
1. Birth Certificate or US Passport
2. Social Security Card
3. Another (VOE FORM) Verification of Enrollment Form (DPS kept your first one for Permit)
4. 30 Hour Log * Parents kept this log while practicing with teen. (See below)
5. Green Certificate issued when teen completed the course with A-Plus (DE-964 Certificate)
7. ITTD Impact Video Certificate
8. Credit Card or $11 cash to pay for License.
We are here to make this an enjoyable experience for your teen. If you have any questions or concerns please contact us.
FORMS & INFORMATION FOR DPS OFFICE
*TEXAS RESIDENCY AFFADAVIT & LIST OF RESIDENCY DOCUMENTS DPS WILL ACCEPT: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/residencyReqNonCDL.htm
*APPLICATION FOR PERMIT: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ choose: DRIVERS LICENSE/NEW LICENSES/APPLY FOR A DRIVERS LICENSE/APPLICATION FOR DRIVERS LICENSE
*TEEN GRADUATED LICENSE LAWS & INFORMATION: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/teenDriver.htm
FORMS & INFORMATION FOR A-PLUS DRIVING SCHOOL